Double Smoked Potatoes
· 4 large baking potatoes (12 to 14 ounces)
· 2 tablespoons melted butter
· Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Set up your Big Green Egg for indirect cooking with the convEGGtor, add a few chunks of hardwood to generate smoke, and preheat to 400°F/204°C.
Scrub the potatoes well with a vegetable brush. Blot dry. Pierce the potatoes several times with a fork. Brush the outside of the potato with melted butter and season generously with salt and pepper.
Place the potatoes on the EGG grid. Smoke/roast until the potatoes are tender in the center (they’ll be easy to pierce with a bamboo skewer), 1 to 11⁄2 hours. In the meantime, fry and drain the bacon in a skillet on the stovetop. Set aside.
Transfer the potatoes to a cutting board. Slice each potato in half lengthwise. While the potatoes are still quite hot, scrape out most of the potato flesh, leaving a 1⁄4 inch thick shell. Coarsely mash the potato flesh (it should still be chunky) and place in a mixing bowl.
Gently stir in the bacon, 3 tablespoons butter, the scallions, and the cheese. Stir in the sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.
Stuff the potato mixture back into the potato skins, mounding it in the center. Top each potato with a thin slice of butter and a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
Just before serving, reheat the potatoes in a preheated 400°F/204°C EGG until browned and bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes, or as needed.
Makes 8 potato halves.
For the Stuffing Ingredients
· 4 strips artisanal bacon, cut crosswise into ¼ inch slivers
· 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, thinly sliced
· 4 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
· 2 cups coarsely grated cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
· ½ cup sour cream
· Pimenton (smoked paprika) for sprinkling
Article Source: http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/double-smoked-potatoes/