- · 6 firm, sweet apples, such as Honey Crisps or Galas
- · 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- · 1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- · 1⁄4 cup dried currants
- · 1⁄4 cup shortbread or gingersnap crumbs
- · 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- · 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- · 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- · 4 whole cinnamon sticks
- · 4 marshmallows, halved (optional)
- · Vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
Core the apples using an apple corer or melon baller, but don’t cut all the way through the bottom; the idea is to create a cavity for stuffing.
Cream the butter and brown sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the currants, cookie crumbs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Spoon the mixture into the apples, dividing it evenly among them. Stick a cinnamon stick upright through the filling of each apple and place a marshmallow half (if using) on top, cut sides down. Arrange the apples on Big Green Egg Grilling Rings, or make some of your own with crumpled aluminum foil.
Set up your Big Green Egg according to the manufacturer’s directions and preheat it to 300°F/177°C.
Smoke the apples until the sides are squeezably soft, but not collapsing, 1 to 1-1⁄2 hours. If the marshmallows start to brown too much, tent the apples with foil. Serve the apples hot, with ice cream on the side if desired.
Article Source: http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/smoked-apples/